As part of the audition stage, applicants are required to perform a short solo in their preferred performance discipline (approx. 2 minutes).
Although students are selected for potential and aptitude, rather than prior attainment, it is important that they are assessed against a common framework which demonstrates their suitability for the kind of tuition and opportunities available on the programme. For this reason we prefer that all audition performances are selected from the same range. If however you would prefer to use your own audition piece, we must insist that it is no longer than 2 minutes.
Below are some potential audition ideas, but students are welcome to choose their own.
Dance (choreographed from):
2) Scott Joplin: The Entertainer
3) William Orbit: Barber's Adagio For Strings
4) Free choice of national/traditional styles (lasting no more than two minutes)
A monologue that is appropriate and lasts no longer than two minutes
A piece of equivalent standard to any ABRSM graded music exam
1) Mancini & Mercer: Moon River
2) Presley & Matson: Love Me Tender
3) Rodgers & Hammerstein: My Favourite Things
All links above are for illustrative purposes only, and all content is the responsibility of third-party site owners.
Backing tracks for the audition itself will be provided in advance on CD or in MP3 format.